Monday, November 3, 2008

26 at 81 and Running the NYC Marathon


At 26 years old, the thought of running 26 miles scares, so when I hear of 81 year olds, like defending 80-and-over title winner, Joy Johnson, running the 26 mile New York City Marathon without a complaint, I feel so lame.

Johnson finished this year's Marathon in 6 hours, 5 minutes, and 58 seconds, nearly an hour faster than her time last year!

I am so curious to know where her true motivation comes from. I would have to guess a part of her motivation this year came from a desire to keep her title against newly turned 80 year old competitor, Bertha McGruder who completed the race last year in 6 hours and 15 minutes. McGruder finished this year at 7 hours, 9 minutes and 31 seconds, so not only did Johnson finish before McGruder this year, but she beat her time from last year.

Although victory is sweet, no matter who won,loss or finished before the other yesterday, I truly respect all 40,000 participants for setting such high goals.

Special kudos though to my most inspiring 80 year old females!


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home